Friday, January 1, 2010

If you thought you had the best mom ever....

Then you obviously haven't met mine.

Tomorrow morning, brotherbear and I will journey back to good ol' Provo, Utah. And, in true Katie fashion, I didn't even consider packing until the last minute. I've never been a very good packer. I just throw everything into my suitcase, take about 10 pairs of shoes, and then hope I didn't forget anything. When I came to Colorado for Christmas, my suitcase was half full of semi-damp clothes because I chose to do my laundry about 2 hours before I went up to Salt Lake. It didn't even dawn on me that all my clothes would be wrinkled when I took them out of the suitcase. Things like that don't really cross my mind.

Well, for the past week my mom has been suggesting that I wash clothes before I go back to school. I thought it was a great idea. But did I ever do it? Nah. I had better things to do. Like. Go to Target and play Mario Kart and Bopit. So today arrived, and no laundry was done. And my mom very nicely did my laundry for me. She sorted everything and washed them correctly. Unlike me, who washes all my clothes in the same load (hey. I'm poor, and quarters are hard to come by. Sometimes). All my clothes look nice and fresh now. She folded them and told me that I should just go put them in my suitcase right then.

So I did. Kind of. I only wish I had a picture of my suitcase after I attempted to pack it. It was about a 7 inches above where the top of the suitcase was, with absolutely no chance of it closing. I gave up and just laid down on my bed. My mom came in, kind of laughed, and told me to go get ready for bed as she packed it.


And here is that lovely lady I call my mother after she had put all my stuff together more neatly. And to my pleasant surprise, everything fit in that suitcase. I really hope that when I become a mom someday I have super powers like that. She's the best. Not just because she washes my clothes when I'm home, packs my suitcase, and finds random things I thought I had packed but were under my bed or on a chair. No, she's awesome beyond that. I feel very blessed to be so close to my mom. She's one of my best friends! Whenever I'm at school, I find myself texting or calling her all the time. Even though I don't always like her advice, she always knows best (except for when it comes to boys. She tries to set me up with icky boys.) All those years of early morning seminary I had, she would wake up at 530 just to say goodbye to me. She always would make my lunches and write me notes on my napkin. From kindergarten to twelfth grade (I'm cool, I know). We like the same TV shows (sometimes. I don't think she's a fan of Teen Mom.). We both really like Panera Bread (which means she takes me there lots, in case you were wondering). She will play the piano and let me sing songs, even when she has better things to do. She wrote for the New Era and I'm pretty positive I inherited my love for writing from her. And my night owlish tendencies. Unlike most of my friends, I love when she comments on everything I do on facebook. She's just the best. She's one of the most selfless people I know, and always helping other people, even if she doesn't admit it. Whenever one of my sisters has a baby, she flies out right away (if they aren't in colorado) to help them and I know she'll do the same for me. And even though I'm sure I inherited my overactive tear gland from her, I've also gained a lot of knowledge and wisdom from her over the years. I miss her so much when I'm at school, and I'm so sad to be going back tomorrow.  You're the best mom! I hope to be just like you someday, I find myself being more and more like you every day (except for I don't want curly hair :) I love you! Thanks for packing my bags, watching house hunters with us tonight, and getting up in a few hours to make Daniel and I smoothies before we leave :)


Oh, and if anyone happens to think of it, throw some prayers our way. The roads are supposed to be really snowy tomorrow!

4 comments:

Jules AF said...

What a nice mom! Good luck driving back!

Anonymous said...

Mario Kart, for real? You really do not lie when you say you are awesome.

Babzanne Barker said...

Katie, I had no idea you wrote that last night! That was the sweetest thing ever--thank you so much. I love and miss you lots (so does Michael--he said it is so boring here already now that you and Daniel are gone!)I'm so glad you made it back safely. I know you're going to have a great semester. Love always, Mom

Diana said...

We do have the best mom ever =)