Sunday, December 6, 2009

Snow = Hate

Whenever I declare, "I hate snow!" most people astonishingly reply, "But you grew up in Colorado! You have to love snow." No, I really don't. Anyways, imagine my instant depression that came when I woke up, only to see this scene:
I refused to actually go outside and take a picture. So here's the view from my apartment.

Yes, it's beautiful. Yes, I love White Christmases. But no, I do not like snow. For the longest time, I told myself that snow was my favorite thing ever. When asked my favorite season, I would say Winter. But last year, I realized that I've been lying to myself. This white stuff that comes out of the sky is terrible. I think this extreme dislike started forming a few years ago when I started to drive. Driving in the snow = scary. Luckily, I had a loving mother and friends who was usually willing to drive in the snow opposed to me. No one wanted me to die I guess. However, my hatred for snow grew three sizes last year, when I had a class that got out at 6:30 every Monday during Winter Semester. There are a few very, very distinct moments where I remember it pretty much blizzarding out, and I had to walk back to my apartment in it.

It was the most bitterly cold day of my life. I looked like a snow person when I got back to my apartment. My pants were wet half way up my calf. My face was extremely red. My hands were frozen. My feet were soaked (because I had been wearing flats).

Yes, I wasn't properly dressed for the weather. I was wearing a coat, and that's about it. But in my defense, this one particular time, there was not a cloud in the sky when I left for class.I had no idea that it was supposed to snow (because really, who checks the weather report. Psh. I thought for sure that my super-sensing-snow-skills would have helped me out).

Like I mentioned earlier, I hate driving in the snow. I think this has definitely elevated my dislike for it. Since I've had a car in Provo this year, I've been dreading the fact that I will have to drive my car in the snow. Luckily, fate has been on my side, and today is the first day we've actually had snow that stuck. But yes. Snow is no fun.

And I lied. I guess hate is a strong word. I do love snow when I'm in my house, with a blanket, and preferably hot chocolate and a boy. I love it on Christmas. It just can't truly feel like Christmas if there's no snow. There's just something about having a bright sunny Christmas day that just takes a bit of the joy away. And when there is the first snow of the season, I feel excited for a few minutes. Until I walk outside. And unfortunately for the snow of today....Even though you're the first snow to semi-stick, we've had a few flurries already. Too bad.

But today was a fail of snow. Not only was church nor school cancelled for it, but right now I don't have a blanket (it's in my room, which is way far away), hot chocolate (because it's fast sunday), and there are no boys in sight (well, that I like). So it's just been a fail. Epic fail.


But enough of my whining! I guess I'll just pretend to love it like everyone else on facebook. I swear, every status this morning is "I LOVE THE SNOW. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL". Come on guys, let's get original.


Oh, and check out this tree I set up and decorated. By myself. My boss put me in charge of making sure the Taylor Building was Christmasfied. So here is the tree I put up. If you happen to walk by it, stop and stare at it, please, and think about all the effort I put into it. And also appreciate the fact that I stayed after work for like...20 minutes decorating it (it's a lot harder than it looks, okay?).


And finally, any potential soul mates out there, put this thought in the back of your mind.

Listen to this song (or just read the lyrics here. Though I suggest listening to it). Learn how to play and sing it well on the guitar. And then ask me to marry you. And make sure it plays out exactly like the song does. Sitting in the park and everything. Last night Cortney and I were listening to it. And we both almost started crying. It's just so dang cute. So yes. Just throwing that out there.



3 comments:

Jules AF said...

There's not that much snow up here. Thank goodness!

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

I just think snow is awesome myself, but I agree, driving in it is no fun.

And class at 6:30 in the morning? You're insane girl.

Mars said...

I miss the snow. But I think I only miss it because I don't have it. I really truely don't miss walking across campus to class it, walking through slush having my shoes and pants soaked half way up, getting in your car and driving for 10-15 min seeing your own breath waiting for the heater to get warm, etc. But Christmas morning is the best when its cold and white! I love snow when you can stay inside all day in sweats and a hoodie with some hot chocolate. The first year I was in AZ, Christmas was a 90 degree day and I was in shorts...I long for a white Christmas again...one where it's not sunny out. Stay warm!