Friday, December 4, 2009

Eavesdropping and Gym Talking

I love to eavesdrop. Mainly, because I love to know things. I've decided there is nothing wrong with this, because if you didn't want people to hear what you were talking about, you would save that conversation for a more private setting, right? Throughout high school, I knew so much about everyone. Since I was rather quiet, I think that a lot of people thought that meant I was deaf as well, so they could talk freely about whatever their little hearts desired. Ha. They don't realize how much I learned from that assumption. Of course, I don't typically tell people the things I learn via eavesdropping (unless it's like my sisters, or Cort.), but nonetheless, I enjoy it. It's just good to be in the know.

I fully claim the reputation I have been given of being the person that knows everything about everyone. Not all of this comes from just eavesdropping or facebook stalking (hello, if you post something on facebook it will more than likely show up on my main page. I think that should be considered general knowledge available to the public, not stalking), as I have mentioned in a previous post, that people just tell me things. I guess my cheery disposition is just hard not to confide in.

Anyways, today eavesdropping kind of paid off. So I was sitting here at my desk at work, and this random girl started talking to me. It was a nice interupption, as I never really do anything at work (though last night I set up a Christmas tree, and I get to decorate the rest of the clinic in a few minutes!). We chatted for awhile, when her friend came up, who looked oddly familiar. She introduced me to him, and then they started talking and I went back to what I was doing (which was. Sitting in my chair). Well, since I had nothing better to do, and they were talking rather loudly, I decided to half-listen to their conversation. It was kind of boring until I heard her ask him "Oh so how is the Riv?" and I'm like, Whoa, whoa. I wonder if he's in my ward. I sat their debating whether or not I should reveal that I was listening to him for a few minutes. A little while later, he mentioned he was looking for a job. I decided that was the perfect moment to jump in. Just the night before I had been talking to someone I work with, and he said that not many people had been calling in about the job in the A/V room. So I turned around and was like, "Hey! I know of a job you might want to consider...." and then I went on about it for a little bit. After that I was like, "Hey so....I kind of overheard you telling her that you live in the Riv. What ward are you in?" And then he kind of smiled and was like, "I'm in the 88th ward"...And I'm like "Whoa! Me too!" And he's like, haha, I knew you looked familiar. So then we talked for awhile, and we're basically bff's. But not really at all. But it was kind of cool to meet someone in my ward, he seemed way nice. The funny thing is, I know who his roommates are, but I've never really talked to him, and apparently only seen him in passing. It was quite special. So moral of the story: Eavesdropping = awesome.

So I haven't talked about the gym much lately, as nothing exciting has happened. I'm pretty sure Cameron #3 doesn't work there anymore. He had mentioned at one point that he was either leaving on a mission or putting his papers in in January, so I suppose that might be the case. Or his hours have changed. I'm pretty bummed about this. But I have another dilemma that has come up. When you see someone you know at the gym, is it weird to say hello? I mean, not like someone you're good friends with, but perhaps...a co-worker that you talk to in passing?

Example: The past few weeks, I've seen this guy I work with several times. We talk every now and again, but I wouldn't really consider us "friends" (even though we are on facebook). I'm pretty sure he see's me too, but I always kind of avoid him. Would it be weird to say hello to him? It doesn't help that he's kind of a stud, and like, 7 years older than me, but still. I'm just not sure of these "gym etiqutte rules"

Example 2: My brother has a missionary companion that I talk to on facebook occasionally. He's a cool guy, but I've never met him. He told me he goes to Gold's gym, and one time I saw him there. Considering the fact I had never met him, and I was in my gym clothes, I figured that probably wasn't the best idea for a first impression. But, had I decided I looked presentable enough, would that have been weird to say hello?

And yes, I know, these are matters of extreme importance.


And PS, to all of you who haven't seen Daniel and Charbel's blog yet, I figured I would put a link to this post. You can read about it there, but basically it's for a fast we are having on Sunday :)

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That's cool you made a new friend. I need to be a better eavesdopper.

Jules AF said...

I also love to eavesdrop.
And totally say hi to your brother's mission companion. The others, I don't know.

Diana said...

I am SUCH an evesdropper. I have been known to shoosh Brandon as he is trying to have a conversation with me, because he's making it difficult for me to hear the conversation of the people across the room =) (That sounds really bad, it doesn't happen very often, but it has happened before) lol