Friday, September 11, 2009

Dilemma-Advice?...and randomness

So today I went to declare myself as an official elementary ed major, right? Well, I decided it might be smart to talk to the counselor person about classes, when I should apply, etc. After talking to her, we figured out that I can definitely apply in January, and start the program next Fall. The lady asked me if I decided on a minor yet. And well, I had been so concentrated on deciding what to major in, I didn't even really think of a minor. She suggested that I look into the TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language), which would certify me to work in Utah schools that have limited English Proficiency. It sounded intriguing, so I looked into it, as well as a couple other minors that I am only about 3 classes away from finishing.

But here's the dilemma. I don't know what would be best. Yes, it would probably be good to have that certification, but since it would only be really valid in Utah, is it really worth getting? Granted, maybe I'm destined to live in Utah for eternity, but if I am not, would the minor be worthless?

The other minors I am looking at?
Communications. I have 3 classes left and I will have a minor in this. The classes look like fun. And since I had originally planned on majoring in some form of communications, I think it would be a worthy idea. Granted, I don't know how good it will look to potential employers, but I think it's a good minor.

Home and Family Living. Okay, you can laugh. But I really only have 3 more classes in this minor as well. They are Family Finance, Intro to Family Processes, and then my choice of any class that is offered by the School of Family Life. I honestly think the classes are so fun, and I'll end up taking some more anyways, if time permits, so heck, might as well get the minor right?

The TESOL is 19 credits. Which would mean I would have to go to school for at least 3, more 4 (because I need to finish some GE's, as well as a couple of the El Ed courses), spring or summer semesters. And I dunno if I want to do that. I mean, in the time it would take me to finish this minor, I could have also finished the previous two mentioned minors. So I don't know what to do. I think any option would be good, but I need some outside advice. Any takers?


_____________________________________________________________________
And on other, unrelated notes:

--I think that guys at BYU should have some kind of signal to show that even though are not married, they are dating someone. It would cause far less "I feel dumb for flirting with you" moments for people (like me). Today i was at Wells Fargo and I got a cute tellar. We talked for awhile, and he was really nice. I was like, score. Maybe I'll come back again, and then we'll just fall in love, and everything in the world will be right. Then right before I leave he asks me what I'm majoring in. I'm like "oh elementary ed!". And then he says a dredded phrase...

That's what my girlfriend's major is!

Denied.
Why is it that I only know how to flirt with the ones who are unavailable? Epic Fail.


10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Tough call with the minor. I didn't minor in anything and it wasn't a big deal. My mom taught ESL and it's a very valuable teaching skill to have.

AJ and Cindy said...

I think you should do communications! But what do I know, really..lol whatever you choose will be the best one for you :)

Babzanne Barker said...

How about do a double minor in communications and family life? Both of them seem like good skills to have as a teacher. I do think that ESL would also be a great minor in states besides Utah. Maybe you should check and see what the classes are and if you would enjoy taking them. I know you'd love your communications and/or family life classes. Oh, and if the GPS keeps getting you lost, maybe you're supposed to be going somewhere else :)

Unknown said...

I agree with Mother of the Bride. Lol. But I also agree that communications might not really boost your ticket as well as other majors might. Then again, maybe I'm biased because I don't really want to do communications anymore. But ESL would be pretty sweet, but then again if I was an ESL teacher I probably would speak Spanish to them instead of English and that's why it would be fun. Maybe you should pursue dentistry instead. ;)-that's not a "i'm trying to pretend like i'm not serious, but really, i am" or a "i'm saying something scandelous" wink

Anonymous said...

I'd say communications. Home and Family Living is fun, and I'm sure it's a difficult major or minor...but I don't know if future employers would see it that way, a BYU graduate...minoring in home and family living. I don't know. Maybe I'm thinking too much about the biases surrounding BYU. TESOL would be interesting, but as you said, it would be long. If I were you I'd just skip out on TESOL, anywhere else but BYU most people just have majors anyway.

mathistown said...

thanks for commenting on my blog! i'm so glad you read!

so you may know i'm getting my master's in el. ed. right now. i think all those minors sound like good choices, but IF you do end up in Utah, you will have to get an ESL certification within your first three years of teaching. So if you think you might stay here, it might be a good idea to get it now!

The idea of double minoring might be daunting, but it could be fun too, so you get to do something more fun along with the practical stuff. Don't wish this time away; I miss my days at BYU like crazy, and wish it hadn't gone by quite so fast! :)

Brianne said...

Hey Katie...this is Brianne Hepworth. I had a thought on your question about getting a TESOL certification. I would wait and here is why. Whether you graduate with a TESOL certification or not you will get paid the same amount your first year. BUT if you wait and get certified after you are a teacher, those credits will bump you up a pay lane. Meaning you will get paid more in future years. It just makes sense to wait. Then again, having that certification makes you more competitive in what is becoming a very tough job market. Up to you.

Brianne said...

P.S. As a person who teaches in Utah...there is a big need for ESL. Just so you know.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I wanna be a home and family life whatever minor. That's not weird.

Jules AF said...

At least he mentioned the girlfriend before you came back, right? yeeesss. I recently discovered I'm kind of possessive. I wish there were such a thing to scare girls off hahaha