Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 19 - Nicknames

Day 19 - Nicknames you have; why do you have them

Over the years, I have accumulated several nicknames. Not many of them are very exciting. But they are nicknames nonetheless. Actually, they are kind of awesome. Especially my nickname of "coolest most wonderful amazing person in the whole entire world." That's what most people call me, really.

Just kidding.

Well, to start out, Katie is actually my nickname, though it's what I've gone by my whole life. See, my name is Kathryn. If I am remembering me correctly, my parents really liked the name Katie, but they thought they shouldn't just name me a "nickname", which you know, is cool. I like my full name. Kathryn Eleanor Barker. It's nice. I like that Kathryn isn't spelled like most people spell it. 

My name called/maybe still does call me, Katie Petunia. Not quite sure where the came from. 

My Grandpa Park has always called me Katy Bug. I've always loved that.

Megan, my awesome friend, calls me Kathy. I really don't think she ever calls me Katie. I can't remember why she started calling me Kathy, but she has for a long time.

Freshman year of high school, my friend, Chris, decided to tell everyone at our lunch table what kind of animal their face looked like. He said I was a Koala. I still am trying to decide if I should be offended. 

Same person decided that since my last name is Barker, he would bark at me down the hall. For the rest of the time I've known him, he's referred to me as Katie Ruff Ruff. 

At one of my youth conferences in high school, we went up to the mountains in January. On the way down, there was a huge snow storm and we were stuck for like five hours. We got pretty slap happy in the car. And one of the young mens leaders, Brother Ballard, gave us all nicknames. My name was k-train. He still calls me that when he see's me.

Cortney calls me Tate. I can't remember where that came from, but it started sometime in high school. 

I think my most infamous nickname though would have to be K-Bark. My freshman year, my roommates and I were thinking of our gangster names (first initial of your first name, and part of your last name). They all thought that K-Bark was pretty sweet, and ever since, they have called me that. It's quite endearing, actually. When I moved in with other people my sophomore year, it was a bit odd to be called Katie, to be honest. I remember one time freshman year, Christie had brought over her boyfriend. They all called me K-Bark the whole night, so he started to as well, because he thought that was really what I went by. It was pretty hilarious. A few weeks ago I was hanging out with these old roommates of mine and they discovered that, if Forrest and I got married, my nickname would still be pretty sweet and could just be changed to K-Clark, which sounds just as great. If that didn't seal my fate with Forrest, I don't know what else would. 


And just to add a picture, here is a picture of my roommates and I freshman year when we dressed up "gangsta" and walked around campus one night. I assure you, we WERE the coolest kids at BYU that year. 

(seriously, I miss my freshman roommates lots. Sometimes I just sit here and think about how great that year was, and if I could redo one year, it would be that one. You guys are the best!)




Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha that's so awesome! you have so many crazy nicknames, I vaguely remember K-Bark.

Freshman year was seriously so crazy, I don't know whether I'd pick that one or sophomore year to do over, BYU is just too much fun! I'm sure I'll say the same thing about senior semester haha

Lindsay said...

K-K-K- K-BARK!!!
umm I would totally redo that year as well! I stinkin miss you! we really did have so many good times. haha If i could - i'd make you a piece of flair that said "K-Bark" or "Horne 52 Hotties 4eva" er something right now...or should I save time and make it K-Clark? who knows.. ;)
p.s. - ....29th. that's all ;)

Christie Beck said...

Hahahaha what a great post! I miss freshman year!!!! That really was so classic when Michael called you K-Bark! Some habits die hard. Haha. I'm glad that the nickname can continue, Mrs. K-Clark! So excited for you!!!

Mars said...

love it! I have tons of nicknames too!