Saturday, January 9, 2010

Well, Maybe I was trying to go to Chicago

Today, as my mom was printing off her plane ticket to go home tomorrow, I was reminded of a somewhat humorous experience that happened when I went home for Christmas.

I had an early morning flight to go home. AJ, being the awesome brother-in-law he is, drove me to the airport around six. Despite the fact that I had to get up at 5:30 every day in the summer, I am not a morning person. So obviously, I was still quite tired.

Getting through security only took a few minutes and then I walked to my terminal. Southwest is always at the terminal that's so far away but, seeing as the Salt Lake Airport is relatively small, I got there around 6:40. After briefly scanning the area, I spotted my gate. Much to my surprise, the "A" group was already in line to start boarding. I thought this a bit odd, as my flight wasn't sent to depart for about an hour, but not having flown much in the past 11 years, I just went with it. I found my place in line, listened to some music, and waited to board. A couple of minutes later, the line started moving and I walked to the front. I finally got to the boarding flight attendant and handed her my boarding pass. She scanned it and, unlike everyone else, she didn't give me the go ahead to get on the plane. She just took it, looked at it, and scanned it again. After trying a few times, she looked at me and was like "This isn't a valid ticket." I just kind of looked at her, trying to figure out what happened, and if by chance, I had printed off my ticket for my returning flight. Then she looked at the ticket again and was like "Sorry mam, this flight is headed to Chicago. Your gate is over there", and she pointed at the gate one over. I heard someone snicker behind me, and I walked over to my correct gate, slightly embarrassed. Everything made a whole lot more sense all of the sudden. So I sat down, and waited for my actual flight to board. I was just grateful I didn't accidentally get on the wrong flight! In my defense, the gate number was in an odd place. ANYONE could have made the same mistake. Of course, it had to be me.

Airports are just weird places. When we came home from Mexico, they announced that all the children could board the plane. My little brother and I were called up to board. My parent's were not. That same vacation, we were trying to get our seats switched around. There was one seat by an emergency exit, and I volunteered to take it, only to be told by the flight attended that people under 18 can't sit there. And I won't even go into how many times I've slipped through security withotu showing my ID, or been told that "people under 16 don't need to show their ID's". Awesome.

3 comments:

Diana said...

That woould have been so scary for you if you had taken the wrong flight!! What a funny story! =)

Vanessa said...

Hahha oh no. Airports make me crazy nervous. I'm always afraid something will go wrong.

Babzanne Barker said...

So glad you made it home for Christmas! I think the Salt Lake Airport is way more confusing than the Denver one--and it takes a lot longer to get to your gate, too. I think I must have walked at least a mile yesterday, even if part of that was because you and Daniel dropped me off at the wrong terminal!I'm just glad it wasn't night time...or snowing....