Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ode to a Ammonian


Sorry I look like I'm high in this picture. I wasn't. I was just holding back the tears. haha. 


This is Ammon. He is basically my BFF. And one of my most loyal blog readers. I told him I was gonna write a blog dedicated to him. He may not have thought I was serious, but, being the integrityful person I am, am following through. I don't want to be the blog writer who cried wolf. That would be terrible. Ammon has been the inspiration for a few of my blogs, so I figure he is worthy of his own post. So, without further adieu.


I met Ammon at the end of October. Though I should have met him several different times before that, to which I'm bummed I didn't. Because he is AWESOME. Even though I haven't known him all that long, he's really become one of my very dearest friends. 


Ammon is probably one of the most legitimate people I know. Just for the fact that he says legitimate when he's around me, since he obviously knows how much "legit" annoys me. What a pal. 


Why is Ammon so awesome? Well. For one thing, he's super nice. After meeting him, it has given me faith that there are some decent, gentlemen out there. He's an awesome listener; he looks you in the eye when you are talking to him, which really impresses me. Some people find it creepy when people do that, but I think it's awesome. It drives me crazy when people refuse to look you in the eyes. Makes me feel like they aren't listening. And they probably aren't. Looking a person in the eyes at least makes it seem like you are listening.


Ammon loves his family, and it's pretty darn apparent right when you meet him. I remember that the one thing which stood out to me the first time I hung out with him (besides his dashingly good looks ;-) was how he talked about his sisters. It was so sweet, and you can tell he loves them very much. And he's gonna be a kick butt dad someday. I'm just sayin'. 


Ammon is one of those people that just makes you want to smile. There were a few times last semester where I was feeling pretty down, and then I hung out with Ammon, and I just couldn't help but smile the whole time! He's just got one of the most amiable personalities. Seriously, whenever we were gonna hang out, I was always so excited because I knew I'd be happy afterwards. 


Ammon loves the Gospel. He's not all show-offy about it but you can just see in his eyes (as cheesy as that sounds), and by the way he talks and lives his life. I want to be a better person when I'm around him. 


Ammon is funny. And he thinks I'm funny. Or at least he acts like it. At first, I'm pretty sure he didn't, but after awhile he caught onto my very dry sarcasm, and for that, he gets a gold star. Anyone who finds what I say to be humorous automatically is awesome. He's so fun to joke around with. 


Ammon can cook. Or so I'm told. I've just eaten brownies/cookies made by him. Oh and some epic mashed potatoes.  But from what I've been told by him and others....he can cook. Hence why Hilary and I made him an apron. Every awesome cook deserves and awesome Apron. He especially loves recipes that involve veal ;-)


Ammon scraped the ice of my windows once. Ain't he nice? And that same night, he trusted me to drive him home even though it was icy and snowy. Then again, he didn't realize I hadn't driven in the snow for about 2 1/2 years. I left that part out ;-) 


Ammon is extremely easy to talk to and be yourself around. Right when I met him, I felt comfortable around him. Which can sometimes be rare. Believe it or not, I can be really shy before I warm up to a person. But not with Ammon. He's just such a nice guy! I could talk to him for hours and not get bored. And he'll listen to me, and act like he's not bored (even though he probably is). 


Ammon is talented. He can sing. He can dance. He can play the piano. He can play other instruments that I can't think of. He definitely doesn't hide his talents under a bushel. 


Ammon likes country music. 'nuff said. 


He introduced me to an awesome song tonight. Anyone who tells me about a song that I end up putting on repeat several times is automatically cool in my book. Because they obviously have awesome taste in music. 


Ammon has tons more great qualities and I'm sure I could go on forever. But a) it's late b) this post may be borderline weird/creepy if I go on much longer and c) You just gotta get to know him to find out more. 


He's leaving on a mission to Brazil in March, and all I can say is that I'm very jealous of the Brazillian people who are about to be blessed by him. Ammon is awesome, and I feel extremely grateful to have gotten to know him over the past few months.  Ammon...you're an amazing guy and have so much potential...don't ever forget it! God speed brotha.


"A faithful friend is a strong defense: and he that hath found such an one hath found a treasure.” --Ecclesiastics 

2 comments:

Seneca said...

Katie that was a very sweet post. Really reminded me of when my best friend left on his mission....I cried like a baby. Half I was so proud of him and the other half I was going to miss him dearly. You will be blessed though. Your bff sounds like a really nice guy, well rounded. He's a keeper! :D

Ammon said...

Thanks Katie! You're the best friend a guy could have. I'll miss you. :)