Thursday, December 17, 2009

Naps. I hate them.

As I've previously mentioned, I love to sleep. I have been looking forward to Winter Break especially because I finally feel like I might be able to catch up on my sleep. For some reason, whenever I leave Provo, my night owl tendencies disappear and I get extremely tired extremely early. Just like last year, right when I got home, I came and sat down in a chair, and zonked out.

Okay, this was from last year, but Michael fortunately wasn't on top of things and didn't capture another silly one of me asleep. But I just like having pictures on my posts. okay?

I woke up about 3 hours later, and I was reminded of something. I hate naps. Especially unintentional ones. I'm pretty sure I am the only person who doesn't like naps. People always talk about how refreshing they are. And power naps. I don't understand them. How can I person just fall asleep for 10 minutes and then wake up. It. Doesn't. Make. Sense. I've tried it. And no matter how hard I try to, after ten minutes, I just can't wake up. So I don't do it. Whenever I wake up for a nap, I feel sick, to the point that I feel like I'm going to throw up. I feel more tired than I was before. There's a nasty taste in my mouth. Usually, I'm either grumpy, and completely incoherent for about 30-40 minutes. And every time I accidentally take a nap, I swear that it won't happen again. Just because I hate them so much. I'm much more into the deep sleep deal. It's weird though, because sometimes I'll accidentally fall asleep for 5 hours during the day, and I have all those after-effects, but quite often I'll only get 5 hours of sleep at night, and I feel perfectly fine the next day. Doesn't make sense. So if someone could enlighten me with some idea of how naps are so awesome, that'd be great. Maybe I just don't take them right!

I just googled "Naps make me sick". I was relieved to find out other people have this problem too. Yay! I'm not as weird as I thought!

Speaking of sleep, here's some more awesome stories that have come from the lack of it (or at least I'm just gonna blame it on that, and not that I'm just dumb). The other day, I was walking from work the class. There was a a stop light, and I got to it as it was still on the walking sign. I stopped. And didn't go across. And then as soon as the red hand thing came up, I started walking across. As I stepped into the street, I noticed there were cars coming towards me. I must have looked like an idiot as I scurried back to the sidewalk. It was almost as awesome as the time I stopped at a green light.

Then today on the plane, I fell asleep right as we were about to land. I didn't think I had fallen asleep, but all the sudden I woke to a huge thud and loud noises. I was so startled, and was like "What the heck just happened?" I honestly thought we had crashed. The lady next to me just started laughing. I guess I had fallen asleep, and the landing was just not very smooth. I felt like an idiot.

And...I'm home! Since being here I've eaten at Panera Bread, gone to Costco, played Mario Kart, and I'm about to make Chicken Pesto Pizza. Ah. I love being home. Especially because I have good food here. And because nothing is better than being in my own house with my familia :)

I suck at Mario Kart on the Wii now though. Seriously, it's so sad. I was probably the best ever before I left for BYU this fall. And now I get in last place almost every time. Seriously, it's a big deal. Good thing I have 3 weeks to brush up on my skills. And playing it reminded me how much I wish life was really like Mario Kart. I mean seriously, don't you ever just wish you could throw a blue shell at the person in front of you, or have magic sparkly stars surround you so you can go super fast and run into things and it not affect you? Or drive off a cliff and have a magic cloud turtle thing just come pick you up like nothing happened. Maybe when I have my own world someday...Yeah.

And, I did not realize how much my vocal ability has decreased. Even since the summer. I'm supposed to sing a song in Relief Society on Sunday (oh the joy of having my mother as the president :P), and I figured it'd be pretty easy to just sight read and do it. Epic fail. My mom played it today, and my voice sounded terrible. It's like, I forgot how to sing. I really thought that the fact that I was an avid car singer would preserve my voice, and that my skills from all 4 years of voice lessons and like 389238 years of choir would just stick with me forever. Mr. Andres probably wouldn't even let me near the choir room with how I was singing today. Maybe I mean, it's not like I was amazing before, but hey, I was pretty good. I'm just gonna blame it on the fact that I'd been in a plane all day (well. 50 minutes), and I had no water at all. Seriously, it's really sad. There's another thing I'll be working on this break...Good thing my mommy loves to play songs on the piano for me to sing along with :-)

Oh, and I decided I'm going back to Mexico. That's the only place my skin is completely perfect. And I swear, it got worse when I came back to Colorado from Utah. Like, literally. The second I got off the plane. Utah and Colorado aren't even that different. And I sound really shallow. Oh well.

So I love quotes, as you may have noticed....I came across this one of the other day and I can't help but share it. :)

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in the God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us . . . If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers." -- President Gordon B. Hinckley

Awesome, right! I think I will be putting this quote somewhere in my room next semester. I definitely need reminders quite often that everything works out in the end, if I just put my trust in the Lord. This quote reminds me of "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble. haha.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I LOVE naps. In fact, I really, really need one right now.

Jules AF said...

I HATE NAPS.

Hilary said...

I love naps! But what I really wanted to say was that I totally know what you mean about singing ability decreasing... I've felt the same way since I came to school! I'm scared it's one of those you-don't-use-it-you-lose-it things like the talents God gives us or something. =( but it's happening to me, too.

AJ and Cindy said...

remember last night when you fell asleep like two seconds after i turned on that awesome lifetime movie, and you had your head propped up with your hands, and I was calling your name forever trying to get you to wake up, and then i touched your arm, and you woke up the same time the door bell rang and you sprang off the couch and were all confused....hahaha that was funny!

mathistown said...

I am sooooo jealous of people who are good at napping!!

Diana said...

I'm so glad you are home!! I am the same way with naps. I am always so grumpy and disoriented afterwards. Oh, and Cindy's story about you reminds me of when we were at the family reunion and her and I were talking, and I told her I was tired, and literally fell asleep the next second, lol.