Monday, December 28, 2009

Music :)

About a month before I was to head back to Provo, I decided that I needed to start reading The Ensign. I had been an avid reader of the New Era and Friend while growing up, but as I started college, I kind of got out of the habit and never really read the Ensign. Well, after deciding I wanted to read it more, I went ahead and ordered my own subscription. I figured my Bishopric would order one copy per apartment (and I was right!), but I figured it'd be best to have my own copy, as I tend to write comments and notes throughout talks and articles. Over the past few months, I have come to love The Ensign. Every article has a lot of interesting and wonderful insights, and I always find something that I needed to hear that month. However, I have found it's not the best thing to read while I'm at the gym. Over this Christmas break, I lost my headphones for awhile, so I decided to bring the Ensign to read. Not smart. I forgot that I tend to have an overactive tear gland, and whenever I read something that touches me, I tend to tear up. This happened while I was on the eliptical, and I felt a little embarassed. Heh. In my defense, it was a very good article. In fact, my friend Seneca wrote a little about it in her most recent post. Read it. I bet you cry (or maybe you won't).

Anyways. Back to the point. In the December issue, there was an awesome article by Elder Russell M Nelson called "The Power and Protection of Worthy Music". It is probably one of my favorite articles as of late. If you know me, you probably know that I love music. While I wasn't overly blessed in the music department beyond vocal, as I have a terrible sense of rhythm, I love and appreciate most types of music. This semester, as a result of my Music class, I have even come to love classical, baroque, opera and the such. I am pretty much always listening to music. Whether I am cooking, working out, walking to class, doing homework, taking a shower, blow drying my hair (even though I can't really hear it) or just sitting around, I am almost always listening to music. I love reading the lyrics to songs. Whenever I hear a new song that I like, I will look up the lyrics and read them as I listen to the song. I just love finding meaning in every song. Pretty much, I have some song that I have "assigned" to a person, any situation, etc. and will forever remind me of that for years to come. I just love music.

This article references so many scriptures that refer to music. In my opinion, that just shows how important music is, and that Heavenly Father has given people certain talents in order to create this music for us to enjoy. I think one of the most quoted verses among LDS-folk is D&C 25:12 where it says "For my soul deligtheth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a pray unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their head." (scripture mastery, anyone?). Every time I hear this verse, I can't help but remember how singing can be considered a prayer. How neat is that? There have been so many times in my life where I have heard a hymn, an efy song, or even just a lyric to a song on the radio that has been an answer to something I had been praying about, or that I just needed to hear. Isn't it awesome to know that music has the power to do that?

Another part of this article that really stood out to me was how Elder Nelson mentioned that music can be a source of protection, but also has the power to destroy and degrade. He mentions something that was in a first presidency message along time ago that said, "Music can be used to exalt and inspire or to carry messages of degradation and destruction. It is therefore important that as Latter-day Saints we at all times apply the principles of the gospel and seek the guidance of the Spirit in selecting the music with which we surround ourselves." Kind of makes you want to re-examine the songs in your iTunes, eh? I know I did when I read where Elder Nelson said, "Do not degrade yourself with numbing shabbiness and irreverence of music that is not worthy of you. Delete the rubbish from your minds and your MP3 players. Protect your personal standards! Be selective! Be  Wise!" It's just amazing to me, when I sit and think about it, just how much power music has.

Personally, my favorite part of Church is hymns and special musical numbers. I am so grateful to be a member of a Church that incorporates so many beautiful songs into our worship. Sure we don't have any drums and electric guitars like other churches, but some of the most spiritual experiences I have, have been through music at Church, and the simple words of a hymn.  Even when I'm sick, I always try and sing the hymns (probably much to the dismay of the people surrounding me). I love hearing other people sing too, especially those that sing so loud and with so much vigor, when they can't carry a tune in a bucket. I think it takes some guts and devotion to do that, and it just makes me happy.

Anyways, this was kind of long, I should probably be assigned a talk in church on music and just read this, and no one probably actually read this, but I just wanted to write about my love for music, especially after reading this article! I always wish I had learned to play the piano or some other instrument, but I'm glad others know how so everyone can enjoy it! Is it selfish to say that I really hope I marry someone who is musically talented, by way of the piano or something of the sort, in hopes that my children may possibly have talents? Heh. I hope not!

I love music :-) And really, read the article by Elder Nelson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And...here's my What Not To Wear moment of the day! At least I'm representin' the Y!







5 comments:

Seneca said...

Katie you are bomb. :D I LOVE the Ensign too. Especially the Conference editions.

Anonymous said...

I get the Ensign mailed to me as well. It is always nice to get it a few days ahead of when the ward gets it to your apartment.

Thank you for sharing about this talk too.

Babzanne Barker said...

I read this, Katie. (Or at least most of it!) And I loved your thoughts.

Mars said...

I love hymns and special musical numbers at church too. There is something so powerful about uplifting music. Sometimes I catch myself liking songs because it's catchy, then once I realize what they are talking about I am embarrassed that I liked it haha. Maybe they do that to bad songs on purpose-make it catchy. Anyway, good thoughts on music :)

Ammon said...

Music does have such a powerful effect upon you. Figuring out what emotions are evoked by different kinds of music really helps in knowing if it is good. This guy I knew loved to listen to hard-core/metal music that just made you feel angry and aggressive. I think some of the best kinds of music are those that fill your heart with love, or perspective, or the spirit. :)