Monday, October 12, 2009

You get paid for this?

Today I went to talk to an academic advisor to discuss some of my concerns with classes and what I'm doing. I thought it would be a really good idea, and that my advisor might be able to give me some good advice. Here's how the conversation went:

Ex-Colonel Advisor Guy: "So where are you from?"
Me: "Littleton, Colorado"
ECAG: "Oh, Little Utah"
Me: "...Yes..."
ECAG: "When I was in the army...blah blah...I went back there to give a presentation awhile back..blah blah...I went in a cave...blah blah."
Me: "Wow, that's awesome."
ECAG: "Yes it is. So how can I help you?"
Me: "Well, I am having issues trying to decide what I want to do. I keep going back and forth between two majors, and I figure I need to settle, since both of them I have to apply too."
ECAG: "Interesting, what are they?"
Me: "Elementary Education and Print Journalism."
ECAG: "Oh. My daughter did Elementary Education. You don't make a lot in the beginning, but after three years you make tons of money. Even in places like Utah and Mississippi. You should do that."
Me: "Well, that's what I"m currently on track to do, but I just don't feel at peace with it."
ECAG: "Okay. Go take this 8$ career aptitude test. It costs 90$ to take at Cornell. It's 60-80% accurate."
Me: "...Okay."
ECAG: "Have a good day!"

I don't know. It doesn't seem like he gave me much advisement, no?

So I took this like 320 question long test. It asked me all sorts of great questions. Like if I would enjoy being a commander in the army. Or if I've ever considered becoming a minister. Yes, yes I have. Pretty sure the results are going to tell me I should become a FBI Agent who also goes to cullinary school. The only items I said I really loved had to do with cooking. Pretty sure those 8$ were a waste.

Oh well. Maybe I should become an academic advisor. Apparently you don't need to do much.

:)

Though, there was a question on the test that asked me if I thought I would be good at planting crops, harvesting, and managing a farm. I was so close to saying I had high skills in this. I mean, I am a level-17 on FarmVille.

7 comments:

Diana said...

You are so hilrious Katie. You have such a great way of writing things =) I know you are struggling with what to do. You will excel(sp) in whatever you choose. Just follow your heart!

AJ and Cindy said...

that does sound annoying about that advisor! I am sorry you are having a hard time figuring out your major :( you will decide soon and make the right choice :)

Julie Wilding said...

Haha! Nice story. Thanks so much for the kind comment on my blog--I'm glad you read it, and flattered. You have a knack for dialogue.

Babzanne Barker said...

I'm still laughing! You really are very entertaining. Go with journalism--I think that's what you really want to do, right? Although I admit I might be a little biased, and thrilled to think that someone might actually want to follow in their mother's footsteps. Whatever you decide to do you will be excellent at.

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

That's awesome. Maybe I should pay him to tell me what it is I need to do when I finally grow up.


PS: I saw your Romney 2012 button on your sidebar and thought you might like one of my past blog entries (on my author blog) http://authorbee.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-replacement.html

Anonymous said...

hahahaha, i had the same academic advisor. he's ridiculous, he's a special forces guy. really intelligent and interesting but not very helpful.

i vote print journalism...seeing as i predicted it before...but also because you'd be good at it hahaha

Kristalyn said...

I think it's especially funny that he said it costs 90 dollars at Cornell...how could you refuse? Have you gotten the results back. If you're not at peace with Elem. Ed. maybe it's not the right one. THat's funny the advisor said that you make tons of money after a year or so...and why would you care about Mississippi? You should plan your classes for next sememster for both Journalism and Elem. Ed and then see which schedule seems right to you. You'll figure it out...I didn't decide on my major 'til second semester sophomore year.