Thursday, February 26, 2009

Listen to the Prophet!

So I was reading around on some blogs today, and I came across this post: http://segullah.org/small-epiphanies/pharoahs-dream/ . I can't help but post the link because it was so fascinating to me.

After reading that I realized even more how important it is to listen to the Prophet. And now that I look back on conference from last October, I remember how there were so many messages of hope. Nothing really about preparation anymore. I believe it is because the time toprepare has passed...We are in the last days. It's kind of scary, but so exciting at the same time. Little things like this jsut strengthen my testimony of the Prophet even more. Man, I love the Church! Anyways, here's the part from the site that was so amazing. Read on!

"Most likely, you remember this talk of President Hinckley’s, it was just weeks after September 11th, 2001 and given in the Sunday morning session– the session where the prophet speaks to the world. We had a renewed hunger for prophetic counsel that fall and waited eagerly in our homes and halls for his comfort and guidance.

As always, President Hinckley spoke boldly and yet with grandfatherly intimacy. His words echoed our sorrows on the tragedies we’d witnessed and our trepidation of the war to come. And then he said this:

“I do not know what the future holds. I do not wish to sound negative, but I wish to remind you of the warnings of scripture and the teachings of the prophets which we have had constantly before us.

I cannot forget the great lesson of Pharaoh’s dream of the fat and lean kine and of the full and withered stalks of corn.”

You’ll recall Joseph’s interpretation of Pharoah’s dream– 7 years of prosperity in the land followed by 7 years of famine. . . .

Now, you’ll also recall last October– exactly seven years from President Hinckley’s talk– when the stock market suffered it’s largest fall since the Great Depression.

Seven years. To the day.

Now, like President Hinckley, I do not wish to sound negative. I have great confidence in our leaders and in our nation– but I’ll keep my food storage stocked.

And I wonder, as I reflect on President Hinckley’s words, if I take prophetic counsel a bit too casually. Unlike the bellowing doomsayers of the past, our prophets are gentle, kind, even avuncular in their manner. Perhaps I’ve regarded their words as friendly advice rather than divine instruction?"



No comments: