Thursday, January 15, 2009

One Downfall of BYU

So today I'm in my Human Development class, right? I'm sitting in oh...second to the back row, about 5 seats in. Well, this guy came in late, and then he came and sat in the seat next to me. And let me tell you, he was attractive! And the background on his phone was a picture of Christ, so he must be pretty spiritual too (yes, I'm making generalizations and assumptions, but whateves, it's probably true). Anyways, we talk through the class, both of us making comments to each other on some of the material being talked about (about siblings, and characteristics that go with the order in which they were born..really pretty fascinating how accurate it was), and at one point I just happened to glance over while he is texting and I see that he wrote (and I promise, I don't normally look at peoples texts. But it was like right next to me..haha), and he was saying, "I like coming in late because then I get to sit next to the most beautiful girls." Now, he probably wasn't talking about me, but just for the sake of my self confidence, we'll pretend like he was. So yeah, then we walk out of class, he tells me he is a business management major and that he wants to go to medical score, and I'm thinking "score! gotta become this guys friend". We talk and walk outside for awhile, and then the topic of EFY comes up and how he was a counselor. Mistake number one: I tell him how I wanted to be a counselor at EFY this summer, but they changed the age requirements so I couldn't do it. I've found that many RM's (he's 23ish) tend to not like being friends/talking/being around people who are 18 and 19. Dumb, I know. He probably could tell I was younger, but I made that assumption far to easy to confirm. I just about slapped myself in the face. Then something about EFY counselors getting together came up, and just as we were walking apart, he mentions how he "met his girlfriend while being a counselor." Talk about depressing. I couldn't have just walked away, not knowing this, and went on my merry way, happy that some cute guy had talked to me (haha). Which brings me to one downfall of BYU...Almost every guy I ever talk to in class, and have a decent conversation with, turns out to be a) married b) engaged or c) has a girlfriend but will probably be engaged by the end of the month so there's no point in even trying to be their friend. Is there anyone NOT married here?

2 comments:

Babzanne Barker said...

Katie, that was a really funny blog! do you suppose he was texting his girlfriend when he said he was sitting next to a beautiful girl? maybe his single, unattached roommate! You never know!!

Stephanie said...

Ah Katie, this post made me laugh. It sounds like this guy is a peacock..he displays all the fancy feathers (the picture of Christ on his phone, medical school, dropping EFY into conversation, etc)to attact the peahens (Mormon girls who want successful, involved, compassionate husbands). But then the catch becomes would you really want a guy who would flirt with the beautiful girl (you) in his class for the whole hour?