Saturday, January 17, 2009

The average person changes their major about three times...

And I guess I'm no exception.

From the time I have gotten accepted into college, I have made up my mind several times on what I wanted to major in. At first, it was Photography. Then I realized the program was way competitive, and to be honest with you, I'm not into the whole competing against other people that are way better/qualified than me, sort of thing. So I decided I would stick to taking pictures of myself (he he he), and find something else. Well, I always loved to write, so I figured, hey, print journalism would be an excellent course path! So I signed up for Communications 101, and yes, I really liked it. I had officially put myself as a "Pre-Communications" major, and thought my life was set. Well, then I discovered the Exercise and Wellness program, and it looked awesome. But, as you may remember in a previous post, I decided that wasn't right for me for two reasons: 1) I can't do a push-up to save my life and 2) I am horrible at anything that has to do with science, as my grade in Biology this past semester demonstrated. So, it was back to communications. I loved telling everyone that I had decided on my major, and that I was looking forward to submitting my application to the Print Journalism major at the end of winter semester. Well, fast forward to a few weeks before winter break. My mom told me that a girl in our ward back home had asked her mom if there were any freshman girls looking for jobs..and her mom suggested me! So I called her, and after a week or so, I was blessed to get a wonderful job as a receptionist at the BYU Comprehensive Clinic..Seriously--answer to my prayers. I couldn't ask for a better job. Anyways, I had never heard of this place, but I went in for my training, and soon learned it was the place where the Marriage and Family Therapy grad students did their clinic hours (it's also the home of Provo's LDS Family Services). I had never heard of that program up until that point, but almost instantly after spending a few hours in the clinic, it was just fascinating to see everything that went on. So that night, I went home and spent awhile looking up the MFT program, and I realized it was exactly what I wanted to do. After a lot of thinking, talking with a few friends, and praying, I decided that this was the path I wanted to take. It's funny, because before this, I was trying to figure out how to get down with school as fast as I possibly could...But now, if all goes according to plan, I'll be in school for 2 years longer. So anyways, yesterday I talked to an academic counselor, and I am now deciding between Marriage and Family Studies or Human Development. She recommended me to one of the professors for the MFT Graduate program so I could go talk to them and see what emphasis would be the most beneficial towards getting into the MFT program eventually. Anyways...when I heard about how people change their majors so much, I thought it was funny and that I would never be like that..But look at that, just barely done with my first semester, and I've changed it four times. I really do think this is what I am supposed to do, and for the first time..pretty much since like elementary school, I am truly excited about school. :)

1 comment:

Babzanne Barker said...

Cute, sweet post! it sounds like something you are well suited for. Although I do think you would have loved journalism!! So you could be more like me, I mean. :)Haha--you'll do great at whatever you do.