Friday, November 14, 2008

Room up for Rent!

Today as I was changing into my gym clothes, a sign on the wall caught my eye. In big, bold print, it said "Housing Contract For Sale!" I always love to read random things (posters, signs, the backs of shampoo/lotion, food labels...Yes, I am quite cool, I realize that), and this situation was no different. I proceeded to read all the details of this "amazing" place that was up for sale. Apparently the girl was leaving on her mission and needs to sell her contract asap. Well, one of her bullets about why this was the ideal place to live, she wrote "Amazing Roommates". Next to this, however, there was something added in pen. I am willing to bet the girl didn't write it in. It said, "All roommates are amazing when it comes to selling a contract..." At this point, I couldn't help but laugh to myself. Although I have only been at college for a mere two and half months, I definitely agree with this. I mean, even when I was looking online at the pictures BYU housing posted of Heritage Halls before I got here, I thought I would be living in a real cute (but old) apartment because of how happy and cheery the pictures were. Imagine my surprise when I walked into my "apartment" and felt as if I was checking myself into prison. Granted, I love it here. But it's not what BYU made it look like. Anyways, as I was reading more of the flyer, I started wondering how much of an exagerration was. So, since I am bored and have nothing else to do, I decided to post what this girl, as well as all other people selling housing contracts, mean when they describe their apartment.


CLOSE TO CAMPUS! (Well, it's closer than an apartment in Salt Lake City would be)
AMAZING AND SWEET AND TOTALLY FUN ROOMMATES!
(Besides fighting over the bathroom, eating each others food without permission, and stealing each others boyfriends, they are great! But seriously, would anyone pick this room if I told them that?)
SHARED ROOMS--HUMONGOUS! (If you've always dreamed of living in a walk in closet, here's your chance!)
HOTTEST BOYS/GIRLS YOU'LL EVER SEE (All of the cute guys/girls are engaged to the other attractive ones in the ward, but at least during Sunday School you can sit there and hope they break of their engagement.)
GREAT WARD! (Everyone is either 30 years old or 18 and the ward activities consist of rootbeer floats and watching Saturday's Warrior. Once a year. FHE groups diminish a week after the semester starts)
FAST AND FREE HIGHSPEED INTERNET (With every other tenant in the apartment complex using the same connection, you'll be lucky to check your facebook...er blackboard.. once a day, if that.)
POOL AND HOTTUB IS TO DIE FOR! (The pool is always freezing and gets cleaned once at the beginning of the semester. Who knows what kind of diseases are floating around in there!)
CHEAP AND AFFORDABLE (300 dollars a month is a lot cheaper than living in New York.)

Ha ha, so granted, I definitely exaggerated here. A lot. As many of you that are (or have) attending BYU can testify of what a fun atmosphere this school has, and that the wards are way fun. Hey, most of the housing is actually not too bad. But I can't help but laugh at all those people selling their contracts who stretch the truth a tiny bit :)




2 comments:

Lindsay said...

hahaha i've never thought of that! That's so funny! Hopefully you don't have to exaggerate about Horne 52!

Aspen said...

Funny Katie...totally reminds me of the year and a half that I lived in Provo! Ahh...memories! My first apartment was the Glenwood on University Ave. Do you know where that is?