Monday, November 17, 2008

My Birthday!

As my 19th birthday was approaching, I started wondering, what is the big deal about turning 19? I mean, when you turn 16 you can drive and date (well, if you're following the Mormon rule, which I was. Though, I didn't really date even after 16..haha). 17...last year as a minor (actually, that's not very fun either). And 18? That's just an exciting age to turn! I mean, you can buy dried ice, lotto tickets, spray paint...Who could ask for more? But 19...In the LDS culture, that is a big birthday for the guys because they most likely are going on missions soon! However, for girls, it's just another birthday. I mean, it's the last year of being a teenager, but in all seriousness, it's not very fun. I have decided that odd number birthday's are just not significant. I mean, when I turned 14, it meant I could go to stake dances. (yeah the excitement of that wore off after about a year when I discovered they are not all that great!). 15, not fun. Anyways, despite the unexcitingness of the age 19, I had an excellent birthday. Granted, it was on November 2nd, so this is a litlte outdated..But I'm gonna write about it anyways!

On November 1st, Daniel and I went to Cindy and AJ's house in Salt Lake because they invited us up for the weekend. It was so nice of them to let us come up; I would have been so sad if I didn't get to celebrate my birthday with family!


Cindy made a cute birthday table for me before we got up there. It was so nice and thoughtful of her! She also had some delicious pumpkin cookies awaiting once we got there. It was so yummy!!





















Soon after arriving, Cindy insisted I open a particular present! It was a gift card to Downeast Outfitters, which is definitely one of my favorite clothes stores! She wanted me to open it so we could go and pick out a cute outfit later! I love shopping for clothes, so I was all up for that!!
















On Sunday, Cindy was going to be giving a lesson in Relief Society. It was her first time teaching in there. Daniel, AJ, and I were here guinea pigs. She practiced for us and her lesson was great! Daniel was secretly taping her half the time, and it sure was funny seeing her reaction! If you are friends with Daniel on facebook, check out the video. She did a wonderful job on her lesson though! I'm proud to say she is my sister. She is such a strong and spiritual person and sets such a great example.. I love you Cindy!

After Cindy was done practicing her lessons, we went to Downeast Outfitters. Daniel and AJ acted like they didn't want to go, but we know they really secretly enjoyed it (especially Daniel..he even tried on a few outfits!) I thought this picture of AJ was funny, because he totally looks so bored, surrounded by tons of clothes!


































Because we made the guys go shopping with us for a little bit, after Downeast, we went over to the Grand Opening of this sporting goods store. It turned out to be quite the exciting trip. The store was giving out tons of free stuff! As you can see in the picture below, I definitely couldn't resist getting all I could! Of course, all of that stuff is in my closet, completely unused and unopened, but hey, it was free! We were at that store FOREVER, because there was a drawing for some backpack thing, and we wanted to see if any of us won. Well, lo and behold, Daniel did! It's not like he put his name in more than once or anything...















For my pre-birthday dinner, AJ and Cindy took me and Daniel out. It took forever to decide where to go, because they insisted that I pick. Now, I am probably the most indecisive person ever. I take forever to decide on making a purchase (I'll read reviews of things online for weeks before buying certain things), and I can't make a decision on what movie to watch, what to do, or where to eat if my life depended on it. About six months ago I was at Target deciding which set of curlers I should buy. Now, this would be a seemingly unimportant decision that should only take a few minutes, but I sat on the floor of Target for at least 30 minutes, battling with myself on which set would be best. Luckily, my sister Diana happened to walk by and I had her pick. haha. Anyways, this night, AJ finally recommended Tepankyaki, which is a Japanese Grill. It was SO good! Probably the best food ever! You get this really delicious salad, onion soup, and then you can pick from several different dishes. I got chicken and noodles, with vegetables and it was so delicious. I definitely recommend this place :)















































After Dinner, we went home and tried to decide what to do. Finally, we settled on getting a movie from blockbuster, and getting some treats from Smiths. We each got a pint of ice cream (Chocolate Raspberry Moose Tracks) and rented The Brother's Grimm. Of course, I fell asleep about 5 minutes into it (what else is new...I did try very hard to stay awake though!). After the movie was over, I woke up, and went to sleep on the wonderful guest bed Cindy and AJ have! Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!


Here I am, ready bright and early for Church, and for my birthday! I can't believe I'm 19, crazy eh? I'm wearing the outfit I bought the previous day..I like it! Church was early, 9:00, so we went to that soon after I was done getting ready. Their ward was very interesting to say the least...heh.









Here we are after Church!












After we got home from Church, Cindy suggested I open my presents. What a great idea...I love presents! It was fun seeing lots of surprises! I got a lot of nice presents and cards from my family and it was so thoughtful!






























For Dinner, we went to AJ's parents house. They are always so nice to let me and Daniel come over for Sunday Dinner whenever we are in Salt Lake! They made Chicken Enchiladas, which is one of my favorite meals, and then we had cake. Cindy made a delicious German Chocolate Cake, complete with homemade frosting. It was very yummy!!






Overall, I had a really great birthday! It was so fun to spend it with Cindy, AJ, and Daniel in Salt Lake, and it meant a lot that they tried to make it so special. This was my first birthday away from home, which was sad, but they made it so much fun! When I got back to Provo, my roommates had put my name up on the Birthday Wall (5 of the 6 girls in my apartment had a birthday within the first three months of school, so we just kept the Happy Birthday up, and changed the name when the time called for it..hehe). Christie and Lindsay gave me a lovely present of a chocolate penguin and Jenga a few days later. What sweet people they are!

Thanks to everyone who made my birthday awesome! I'll be sending out thankyou cards soon (yes, they are kind of late, but I have the excuse of not having any stamps and not knowing where to get any on campus!)

1 comment:

Diana said...

It sounds like you had a great Birthday! I wish I was there to help you celebrate, but I am so glad that Cindy and AJ and Daniel could be there =)