Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 9: Something You're Proud of in the Past Few Days

Day 9: Something You're Proud of in the Past Few Days


 I got an A on my journals for my English class that we turned in, I was pretty happy about that. I've mentioned before, I never do very well on tests. I've been feeling pretty discouraged about that lately, so doing well on this writing assignment really boosted my confidence. It also helped that my teacher wrote comments like "Perfect, Excellent job, So well written" on all of the journal entries (when I say journal, they aren't personal journals. It's like...answering a writing prompt for something). I felt pretty much like a rockstar. It's good to focus on your strengths, and I don't give myself enough credit most of the time. I am a pretty good writer. My good friend, Ammon, before leaving on his mission, told me "You have an amazing ability to write. I know that you will affect many people for the better because of that--you already have with me" (he was a loyal reader of my blog...haha). I think it's hard to not focus on what we're not good at, instead of remembering the talents we have been blessed with. Especially here at BYU, where it seems I feel like everyone but me is super smart, super good looking and have amazing talents. But that's a terrible way to think, because I truly am so blessed with so many things, and I often do the opposite of what the scriptures say, and hide the talents I do have under a bushel. Kind of random, but whatever. I think one of my other goals should be, recognizing the talents I do have and cultivating them; praying to see my strengths, and how I can make the weak points my strong ones. 

Here's a quote that I really love:

"So if you have problems in your life, don't assume there is something wrong with you. Struggling with those problems is at the very core of life's purpose. As we draw close to God, He will show us our weaknesses and through them make us wiser, stronger. If you're seeing more of your weaknesses, that just might mean you're moving nearer to God, not farther away." -- Bruce C. Hafen

A few weeks ago we had a regional conference here in the Marriott Center. We were able to hear from Sister Julie Beck, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and President Boyd K. Packer at that time. Sister Beck gave a great talk where she said something like "You're doing better than you think you are, but perhaps we are not doing as good we we could be. We need the kind of faith that creates miracles."

I think that deserves to be put on a block of wood....haha. But really, both of these quotes remind me that it is okay that even if I"m doing the best I can right now, but I still feel like I'm falling short...because I am doing well, and that struggling is how we become stronger. That doesn't really make sense now that I re-read that...but hopefully you all get the point. :)




Photobucket

No comments: