Saturday, November 29, 2008

Edward Cullen has given me unrealistic expectations for men

Basically, this movie was amazing. Ever since I read the Twilight series awhile back, I have been hoping and waiting for the movie to come out. I watched so many trailers on YouTube (all of those fanmade ones get kind of addicting..), constantly read Stephanie Meyer's website, and even tried to find websites that might have gotten a hold of the movie early (No such luck). I just love this book so much, and I could not wait for the movie! Last August (I think?), Diana, Daniel, and I went and waited for the midnight release of Breaking Dawn. I was so sad for it to end...but alas, the book finally drew to a close. The only thing that made me feel not to sad about it was that the movie was coming out. And that Midnight Sun (Edward's PoV) was supposed to be released relatively soon (check out Stephanie Meyer's website for the sad news on this!). Anyways, me and a few of my roommates got tickets to the midnight showing of it the second they were put up for sale (in our defense of appearing TOO terribly nerdy, we were already at a movie when some lady came in and announced tickets were now on sale) . So we went to the midnight showing. I thought it was absolutely wonderful. A lot of people had tons of complaints, but I don't think they realized it was a movie, not having a huge budget to work with, and that you obviously can't make a movie an exact replica of a book. Not possible! I thought it was a great movie with the resources they had. I'm not gonna lie, when I heard that Robert Pattinson was going to play Edward, I wasn't thrilled. I thought that there were other characters better fit to play this perfect Edward Cullen. However, after seeing the movie I was pleasantly surprised. However, after I saw the movie the second time today with Kristalyn and my mom? I am completely smitten! I don't know what it was this time, but every time he came on screen, I couldn't help but feel so overwhelmed with how perfect he was. Yes, I realize Twilight is not real..but ask anyone that has read it...You just totally get caught up in the book and it's hard to believe it's not actually happening. The rest of the day today I couldn't stop thinking about the movie, and how I wish I could find someone like Edward..sigh, I always have my dreams right?



Anyways, here's my review of the movie:

Excellent casting. I thought they were right on with almost all of the characters. Mike Newton was exactly like the person I had in my mind. And Charlie? Perfect! He was totally the awkward "I don't know what I'm doing" dad, yet you could tell he really loved Bella. I thought that Kristen Stewart was the perfect Bella. She was so pretty, and just completely did the part wonderfully. The only characters I wasn't really pleased with were Rosalie and Victoria. They just weren't...I don't even know. What I wanted them to look like! Rosalie was supposed to be the move beautiful Cullen, but she really wasn't. Not to say she's ugly, but still. I really liked the guy that played Jacob..even though I really can't stand Jacob, he's been cast well. I might not even cringe through all of New Moon when it comes out (no promises though). Like I said, I thought Edward pulled off his part very well. And I really liked most of the Cullen Family. They are so great!



Let's see. I thought they follow the plot line of the book very well. Thank goodness for Stephanie Meyer co-directing it! I wish it had been longer though...I totally would have stayed for a 3 hour movie! Like my brother in law Brandon said, why not make it 3 hours? They made Titanic, a dumb movie, three hours. Why not this?! Oh well. I definitely thought the corniest scene EVER was when Edward first "smelled" Bella in Biology class. I mean, Edward looked like he was about to toss his lunch (heh...if he ate lunch ;-) If I recall correctly, he didn't look sick as he sat next to her, but he was clinching on to the end of the table, trying to restrain himself. I definitely chuckled at that part. I loved the music in the movie. Again, that was another thing many people complained about. I thought it fit everything perfectly. Want to know the one thing that bugged me so much in the movie though? Bella (er..Kristen's) eyebrows were totally uneven. I don't know why this bugged me so much! I couldn't get over it. haha. I loved the scene at the end with James trying to kill Bella...it was done perfectly! There were a couple of creepy/weird scenes..like when they showed Carlisle turning Edward into a vampire! I think the most heart breaking scene in the whole movie was when Bella walked out on her dad. I almost cried! Anyways, overall, I thought this was a great movie, and I can't wait for the next one to come out (even if it's all about dumb Jacob). I think I will be going to bed now...Or maybe to search for my own Edward Cullen ;-)

1 comment:

Babzanne Barker said...

Katie, you are so funny! I agree, the movie was really good. Although I'm not sure if people would really get into it as much without reading the books. I agree with most of what you said, except (you know what I'm going to say!) Jacob is adorable, and Edward should have been more good looking!